Mentorship is the only way that our industry will thrive, and young veterinary professionals are craving it now more than ever. With that, PAW Health Network is happy to offer student externships and clinical rotation opportunities. In coordination with your education plan and curriculum, we are able to craft an experience that is right for you to push towards a successful start to your career.
Certified Veterinary Technicians and Veterinary Nursing programs have a variety of different requirements per program, so after application, you would work with our education coordinator to ensure that your experience aligns with where you are in your education path, and most rotations and externships include the following.
Opportunities to learn include:
- Perform initial evaluations of patient’s condition, dress wounds, check vital signs, collect samples, perform advanced lab work, may assist in procedures and administer medication.
- Provide patient support with relevant medical data and instructions
- Read interpret and assist in the implementation of written medical treatments.
- Read and maintain electronic medical records to track their care and health conditions.
- Effectively execute duties and manage personnel within the clinic laboratory.
- Obtain and process laboratory samples such as feces, blood, urine, tissue and free fluid by means of free catch, venipuncture, cystocentesis, fine needles aspirates and skin scrapes.
- Assist in surgical procedures and dental prophylaxis.
- Monitor and recover all assigned sedation and anesthetic events.
- Assist and perform first aid and euthanasia.