Mentorship is the only way that our industry will thrive, and young veterinary professionals are craving it now more than ever. With that, PAW Health Network is happy to offer student externships and clinical rotation opportunities. In coordination with your education plan and curriculum, we are able to craft an experience that is right for you to push towards a successful start to your career.
Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) programs have a variety of different requirements per program. With that, our externship program offers experiences at tiers two and three of our education system. Tier two is a longer term engagement ranging from 6-12 weeks where you work as an employee of PAW Health Network in the Medical Support Staff position. Tier three is a 1-4 week term where you are specifically externing with one of our experienced doctors serving as your mentor during that time. After application, you will work with our education coordinator to ensure that your experience aligns with where you are in your education path, and most rotations and externships include the following.
Opportunities to learn include:
- Perform patient physical evaluations
- Observe and provide assisted caregiver consultations with relevant medical data and instructions
- Read, interpret and assist in the implementation of written medical treatments.
- Observe, read, produce and maintain electronic patient medical records.
- Observe and perform preventative and urgent surgical services.
- Observe and utilize diagnostic equipment including radiograph, ultrasound and full in-house laboratory.
- Assist, recommend and calculate patient treatment plan medications.
Interests List: As part of a DVM rotation, you will work with our education coordinator to understand and select a specific interest from our interests list to provide you a deliberate deep dive into that area. Interests include:
- Rescue, Shelter & Humane Society